Job Demands and Accommodation Planning Tool for workers (English version)
The Job Demands and Accommodation Planning Tool (JDAPT) provides workers experiencing episodic conditions with practical support and accommodation ideas that are relevant to their job demands. It was developed and tested by research experts, people living with disabilities, community groups and workplace organizations.
More than 6.2 million Canadians live with limitations to their daily activities due to health or other conditions (Morris et al., 2019). These limitations – or disabilities – may be permanent and experienced every day, or they may be “episodic.” Episodic conditions are chronic health conditions, often invisible, that can re-occur, fluctuate, or worsen over time
People living with disabilities are less likely to be employed than people without disabilities. They often have to give up work temporarily or permanently and can struggle to return to work.
It is important to remember that health conditions do not necessarily lead to a disability. A disability comes about when the social and physical environment creates barriers for persons with health conditions. In the workplace, that means that support and changes or modifications to some job tasks can remove the barriers that create a disability.
Unfortunately, many people struggle with knowing how to remove or reduce the barriers that can impact their ability to work. They ask:
- How should I think about my needs?
- What can I do?
The JDAPT is different from other tools:
- It focuses on your work demands and areas that may be challenging for you at times or on a regular basis
- It guides you through a series of simple questions that ask about the physical, mental or “thinking” tasks of your job, job tasks related to working with others, and your working conditions.
- You get a personalized list of suggested ideas relevant to your job demands. This can help generate solutions that work for your needs.
- You can discuss your support needs with others and focus on work solutions, not your health or disability diagnosis or symptoms.
The JDAPT is an award-winning tool that has been tested across a wide range of physical, mental health and cognitive conditions that can create challenges working.
The JDAPT and your privacy: The JDAPT is available for your personal use and takes about 15 minutes to complete. It is free to use. You will not be asked for personal information and your answers will not be saved or shared with others. You may save a copy of your answers for your own use.